Why you may choose this Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe :
This Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe is not tough at all to make at home. It is an incredibly delicious and flavorful recipe. The bacon adds extra flavor and taste to it.
Though it takes a lot more ingredients its taste deserves it. It is a great recipe for the veg eater. This dish can be served as an appetizer or main dish as desired. In this article, you will get clear step-by-step instructions to make a saltgrass potato soup recipe.
So just choose this recipe and make an incredible soup at home without wasting time in the restaurant.
Saltgrass Potato Soup Recipe
- chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Medium size stockpot
- Vegetable masher
- Wooden spoon
- Serving soup bowl
- Soup spoon
- 2.5 lbs potatoes
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup cube cut carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh celery
- ⅓ cup green onion paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2.5 tbsp. Lawry’s seasoning salt or required amount
- ¼ tbsp. white pepper (optional)
- 2.25 cups whipped cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Water needed amount
- ¼ cup baked bacon bits (You can use the pre baked bacon bits or bake more for garnish)
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- ½ cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Pinch or black pepper to tastes
- First, peel the potato and cut it into 3 or 4 square pieces. Then wash the potatoes with cold water and set them aside.
- Keep bacon on the chopping board and cut it into small pieces with a knife. Wash the bacon pieces and drain water.
- Heat a skillet. Confer bacon pieces in the hot skillet and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until it is brown and crispy. Once done transfer the cooked bacon to a bowl and set it aside.
- Then heat the medium size stockpot with the left bacon moisture. Add chopped celery, sliced red onion and cube cut carrot. Stir for 4-5 minutes. After that add green onion paste, garlic paste, Lawry’s seasoning salt, black pepper, and white pepper. Stir 40 seconds to mix properly.
- Then add the mashed potatoes with the vegetable mix and stir for few minutes. Pour 1 cup water and lid the stockpot. Cook for 5 minutes or until water is fully absorbed. Stir often.
- Pour the chicken broth and whipped cream and cook for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are well tender.
- When the potatoes are done, smash them with a vegetable smasher until smooth evenly.
- At last, combine the cheddar cheese cook until melt. If the soup is too dense add some chicken broth to get your required density.
- Confer the soup in serving bowls. Garnish with bacon bits, chopped chives, green onion, and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper to taste and serve hot.
Some questions about potato soup are answered below
Why is potato soup bad for you?
- Broth base potato soup is certainly healthy but cream base potato soup is harmful to health. Cream base potato soup contains a lot of calories and saturated fat which is a health hazard.
Can I use cornstarch instead of flour in potato soup?
- Yes, you can use cornstarch instead of flour to thicken soup by first blending it with cold water or broth.
How do you thicken soup without cream?
- You can thicken soup by adding flour or cornstarch instead of using cream. But for better results use indirectly, like ladle a small amount of broth into a bowl and let it cool.
Can you lose weight just eating soup?
- There is still a need for evidence-based research on how to lose weight by eating regular soups. However, the indirect role of soup in weight loss is realistic, as drinking soup before meals improves digestion and prevents overeating.
Can I freeze potato soup?
- The sooner you drink potato soup, the tastier it is. According to food experts, it is better not to keep this soup in the fridge. Because if you keep this soup in the fridge, it becomes dry.