Why am I feeling so good about myself today? It’s because I am sharing one of my all-time favorite Popeyes coleslaw recipe with you.
And let me tell you this is no ordinary coleslaw recipe.
I can understand sweet and savory coleslaw being a popular pairing but this Popeye’s coleslaw recipe takes it to a whole new level. I mean just look at that picture attached.
That crispy cabbage is mouth-watering and the dressing gives it an amazing flavor profile. And trust me, you will love this coleslaw recipe.
Ok fine, I think you are excited too like I am. So without further ado, let’s get down to the topic and learn how to make Popeye’s coleslaw recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Popeyes coleslaw made of?
It’s actually very simple to make Popeye’s coleslaw recipe. All you need is some cabbage, mayonnaise, mustard sauce, onion, vinegar, salt, and a few more ingredients.
But you know what? Because of the way this coleslaw is made, it has a remarkably complex and delicious flavor.
And it has many variants, so you can customize it to your own liking. For example, I personally prefer a sweeter coleslaw and sometimes I add in some raisins or cinnamon.
The softness of the dish is completely up to you. You can either Dice the cabbage into small pieces or leave it in larger chunks.
But most importantly, make sure that you do not skimp on the mayonnaise and mustard sauce.
These are two of the key ingredients in this coleslaw recipe and without them, it will be sorely lacking in flavor.
What is the difference between cabbage slaw and coleslaw?
Before I get started, let me discuss one more important difference between cabbage slaw and coleslaw.
First, let me tell you that coleslaw actually refers to a cabbage-type salad while slaw specifically refers to a type of dressing that is usually made of shredded cabbage and mayonnaise.
Coleslaw is typically made of shredded or chopped cabbage while slaw is a mix of raw vegetables that are dressed in a dressing.
So with coleslaw, you have the choice to either dice the vegetable or leave them whole.
This means what? Here the difference is little but in the varieties available. I really hope this clears things up a bit.
However, let’s now talk about what is the best way to make popeyes coleslaw and what ingredients are required.
Popeyes coleslaw recipe
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- Serving Size3
- Energy193 cal
Ingredients of Popeyes coleslaw recipe
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sweet-type relish
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Butter (optional)
Instructions for Popeyes coleslaw recipe
In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, relish, vegetable oil, and mustard sauce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Now, mix well.
Add vinegar and mix again until the dressing is smooth.
Toss cabbage mixture with carrot and red onion in the bowl of a large serving dish or plastic container.
Adjust seasoning as needed (add more salt or pepper).
If desired, sprinkle butter over coleslaw.
You can serve coleslaw with fried chicken immediately or refrigerate for later.
One simple salad recipe is the Chicken salad chick recipe.
- Serving Size3
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*Standard DV
- Total Fat13 g78 g16.67%
- Saturated Fat- g20 g0%
- Trans Fat- g
- Polyunsaturated Fat- g
- Monounsaturated Fat- g
- Cholesterol8.4 mg300 mg2.8%
- Sodium262 mg2300 mg11.39%
- Total Carbohydrate17 g275 g6.18%
- Dietary Fiber2 g28 g7.14%
- Total Sugars16 g
- Added Sugars- g50 g0%
- Sugar Alcohal- g
- Protein1.2 g50 g2.4%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)- IU800 IU0%
- Calcium- mg1300 mg0%
- Iron- mg18 mg0%
- Potassium- mg4700 mg0%
- Vitamin A- mcg900 mcg0%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)- mg90 mg0%
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)- IU33 IU0%
Pro Tips to make the Popeyes coleslaw recipe tastier:
1) I often try one trick to make the coleslaw more tasty and luscious. This is to mix it with some mayonnaise or buttermilk, just before serving.
2) If you would like a little more crunch in your coleslaw, then try adding some chopped hard-boiled eggs into the bowl of cabbage mixture while tossing everything together. I can understand some may not like this addition, but some people really enjoy it.
3) For those who like their coleslaw a little sweeter, feel free to add some stevia or honey. These sweeteners are completely calorie-free, so there’s no guilt attached.
Health benefits of the coleslaw recipe
Ok, to be honest, there aren’t really a whole lot of health benefits to be found in this particular coleslaw recipe.
I think it would still be worth including because of its many delicious qualities. But wait, I am not saying it’s not healthy. Let’s see what else this coleslaw dish has to offer:
1) Though packed with flavor, this slaw is also high in antioxidants. This means that it can help improve your overall health by fighting off harmful free radicals.
2) Not only does cabbage contain antioxidants, but carrots do as well. Together these two vegetables provide you with a host of vitamins and minerals, including potassium and vitamin k.
3) For instance, obese people often struggle with difficulty losing weight and maintaining their body fat levels. One reason for this may be that they don’t consume enough fiber. In fact, one cup of coleslaw contains about 2 grams of fiber and 16 g of sugar, which is more than most people get in a day.
4) Finally, veggies like cabbage and kale are also packed with vitamins. These nutrients help support your immune system which is a big health benefit for you.
Our previous article: Jamaican pepper steak recipe.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: Does Popeyes coleslaw have eggs?
A: Though don’t many people enjoy coleslaw with eggs, this dish does not contain any. But, you are free to add them if you’d like.
Q: Is it best to make coleslaw the night before?
A: Of course, it’s best to marinate the cabbage and carrots in the dressing overnight. But, you don’t have to wait that long to enjoy this dish. Better make it the day you want to eat it.
Q: Can coleslaw go bad?
A: Not really. Provided you store it properly, coleslaw will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. I can really see this dish being enjoyed during the weekends.
Trust me or not, when I suggested this recipe to my family, they were not too convinced. But surprisingly enough, they all really enjoyed it. In fact, some of them asked me to make this dish again soon.
Now you tell me, are you going to give this popeyes coleslaw recipe a try? If so, let me know how it turns out for you in the comment section below. I will love to hear from you.