Why you may choose Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread recipe:
Patti Labelle hot water cornbread recipe is a super easy and super-fast recipe to make at home. It is delicious and crunchy. The thyme leaves and pepper in it makes the dish more flavorful.
You can eat this with any kind of homemade sauce of your choice. It can be served as snacks. So just follow this recipe make this incredible Patti Labelle hot water cornbread and please your family and friends.
Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread recipe
It is a super easy and fast recipe to make at home, also delicious and crunchy. So you can make this recipe to make your family members happy.
- Bowls (different size)
- Deep skillet
- Fry pan
- Wooden flattened spoon
- Round spoon or scoop
- Paper towel
- 1 tbsp. White sugar (add more if you like sweet more)
- 1/2 cup Onion paste
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 1.5 cups Oil
- 1 tbsp. Salt (or required amount)
- 2 cups hot water (when boiling water take 2 ½ cups)
- 2 tbsp. Chopped thyme
- 1/4 tbsp. Ground black pepper
Pour water in a deep skillet, boil for 2-3 minutes.
Heat frypan with oil on medium-high heat. In that time while oil is kept for heating combine the ingredients.
Add cornmeal, white sugar, onion paste, salt, chopped thyme, and black pepper, stir few seconds. Slowly pour boiling water into cornmeal and continue stirring until it is smooth and dense.
Take a spoonful or a scoop of batter in hand soaked in water, make 1 inch thick and round shape then arrange the unbaked cornmeal bread into hot oil to fry. Put 6-7 at a time, cook for 10 minutes. When 1 side is done frying after 4-5 minutes flip it and fry the other sides another 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Once it is brown remove cornmeal bread from heat.
Keep the fried cornbread on a plate with a paper towel because the paper towel soaks extra oil.
Once all the bread is done frying serve hot.
You can fry all the cornmeal with a big round 1-inch thick shape like cake. since it is fried then cut it in triangle or square shapes.
Some questions about Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread recipe
Can I substitute Jiffy Mix for cornmeal?
- Definitely you can substitute a mixture of flour, salt, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and vegetable oil.
Should you soak cornmeal before making cornbread?
- You can soak cornmeal in buttermilk for a few hours to make the bread more moist and soft. It is optional, even if not soaked, the taste of your cornbread will remain intact.
What does hot water do to flour?
- The flour is usually mixed with hot water to soften the bread. This practice is very common in the Scandinavian and Asian regions.
Can you mix flour and cornmeal?
- Yes, this is how you can make Cornmeal Coating Recipe. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then mix with flour and cornmeal. After that cook with black pepper, garlic powder, salt, thyme and cayenne pepper.
What can I use if I don’t have milk?
- You can use yogurt, sour cream or water instead of milk.