Put your hands up if you’re feeling like you need a break from cooking. I totally understand how boring and mundane it can be sometimes, especially if you’re the type of person that enjoys cooking.
That’s why today I want to share something new and tasty with you all.
Are you now thinking of trying out a Cardiff crack recipe? Believe me, you’re going to love the outcome.
In this particular recipe, I’m using many healthy ingredients. And as it’s layered with crack, you’re going to be in for a real treat. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is in Cardiff crack?
For those who don’t know what Cardiff crack is, it’s burgundy pepper tri-tip that’s been slow-cooked for 20-30 mins until it becomes really tender and juicy.
Then, the meat is crack-cured in salt, honey, and brown pepper before being thinly sliced.
So, when do you think it was invented? Though I can’t tell you the exact date, I’m pretty sure it was created by Mr. Marshall in the early 1900s.
What I like the most about this dish is that it doesn’t require any complicated preparation.
Plus, because it’s so easy to make, there’s no reason why you can’t whip up a batch for yourself anytime you feel like having something delicious and nutritious.
I really suggest you give this recipe a try with me.
Why is Cardiff crack so tender?
When people tried it for the first time, maximum reacted like it was rubber. It’s only after they tried it and realized how tender the meat actually is that they started to fall in love with it.
Now let me answer you the secret of tenderness.
The reason why Cardiff crack is so tender is because of the marinating process. During the marinating process, the meat is soaked in a mixture of soy sauce, sherry vinegar, honey, garlic powder, black pepper, and olive oil.
This helps to tenderize it and gives it a great flavor.
One more secret that I can share with you is that the meat should be cooked slowly over low heat. This helps to keep the juices inside and makes it really juicy.
Oh no! I just have revealed only one secret, and still, more to come. Before that let’s see how to cook Cardiff crack properly.
One more recipe recommendation: Easy ground beef recipe.
Cardiff crack recipe
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time40 min
- YieldCardiff Crack
- Serving Size4
- Energy231 cal
Ingredients of Cardiff crack recipe
- Soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- Marlic garlic and black pepper (as needed)
- Sea salt to taste
- Tri-tip roast
- 2 cups of red wine
- 3 onions medium-sized diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or butter
- Juice and peanut butter/ marshmallows for serving.
Instructions for Cardiff crack recipe
In a large bowl, mix together soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, and black pepper.
Add tri-tip roast to the marinade and coat well with the mixture.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to medium heat
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onions and olive oil or butter.
Sauté until onions are soft but not browned. (about 2 minutes).
Place tri-tip roast in the skillet and grill for about 6-7 minutes per side
Now cook over indirect heat to your desired doneness.
I cooked mine medium-rare because that’s what I like, but you can also grill it for a bit longer or even more if you’d like it slightly more well done.
Once the tri-tip roast is cooked through, remove from heat and let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips against the grain.
Serve with the red wine reduction.
Drizzle peanut butter/ marshmallows over crack slices when serving.
One more meat recipe is the Meat church recipe
- Serving Size4
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*Standard DV
- Total Fat14 g78 g17.95%
- Saturated Fat2 g20 g10%
- Trans Fat- g
- Polyunsaturated Fat1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat10 g
- Cholesterol- mg300 mg0%
- Sodium1 mg2300 mg0.04%
- Total Carbohydrate6 g275 g2.18%
- Dietary Fiber0.4 g28 g1.43%
- Total Sugars1 g
- Added Sugars- g50 g0%
- Sugar Alcohal- g
- Protein0.4 g50 g0.8%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)- IU800 IU0%
- Calcium11 mg1300 mg0.85%
- Iron0.3 mg18 mg1.67%
- Potassium30 mg4700 mg0.64%
- Vitamin A- mcg900 mcg0%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)1 mg90 mg1.11%
Pro Tips to make the Cardiff crack recipe tastier:
1) To make the tri-tip roast even more tender, grill it for a bit longer or even over an open flame.
2) Use olive oil or butter instead of vegetable shortening when sautéing the onions to give them a richer flavor.
3) For the red wine reduction, use red wine that you love and is your favorite. You can also use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar instead of red wine.
Health benefits of the Cardiff crack recipe
The above was just a recipe, but what about the health benefits of tri-tip? I know health-conscious people always look for recipes that have minimal ingredients, high-quality protein, and healthy fats.
This tri-tip roast in this recipe has plenty of health benefits. Here are some health benefits to be aware of when making and enjoying the Cardiff crack recipe:
1) Though soy sauce is not a mandatory ingredient of our recipe it adds some health benefits that I couldn’t resist myself including it. Soy sauce is a fermented food that contains soybeans, wheat salt, and other probiotics. These beneficial bacteria can support gut health and improve cognitive function.
2) What to say about the tri-tip roast itself? This cut of meat is popular for its high-quality protein. Tri-tip has a higher concentration of all 20 necessary amino acids than many other cuts of beef.
These include the nine essential amino acids your body can’t manufacture on its own and are important for muscle growth, energy production, and joint health growth.
3) As I mentioned before olive oil or butter are great substitutes for vegetable shortening when cooking this tri-tip steak. Instead of using artery-clogging oils like these unhealthy fats, we’re using healthy ingredients that help to lower bad cholesterol and inflammation.
4) Speaking of healthy fats, this recipe calls for honey. Honey is a natural source of antioxidants that can protect cells from damage and support heart health.
Our previous article: Cachupa recipe.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: What kind of tri-tip roast is used in this recipe?
A: The tri-tip roast that is used in this recipe is a cut of meat that has been trimmed off any excess fat and then marinated in olive oil, garlic, and herbs. Normally, tri-tip is a lean beef cut that has been lower in fat and therefore tends to be more tender.
Q: Is soy sauce an optional ingredient in this recipe?
A: Soy sauce is not an essential ingredient, but it does add some health benefits to the dish and the best part is that you can make the recipe without it if you’d like.
Q: Can I freeze this tri-tip roast?
A: Well, you can definitely freeze this tri-tip roast. After marinating the meat, simply wrap it in foil and then store it in the freezer for up to 5 days.
Q. What are some possible ways to serve Cardiff crack tri-tip recipe?
First, I decided to finish the article here and summarize everything. But suddenly I got a lot of questions from you guys and I think it would make sense to go over each and every step in detail.
So without further ado, here are the possible ways to serve this tri-tip steak recipe:
1) Peanut at the top and with juice: The first option would be to top the tri-tip steak with some peanut butter and then pour some juice in a glass for a delicious and healthy meal.
2) Grilled onions, tomatoes, and avocado: Another great way to serve this dish is by grilling it over medium-high heat until it reaches your desired doneness. Then add some chopped onions, tomatoes, and avocado on top for an extra burst of flavor.
3) Swiss cheese and roasted garlic: One of my favorite way to enjoy this tri-tip steak recipe is by adding a slice of Swiss cheese on top and then roasting it in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
So, this is what you need to know about the Cardiff crack recipe. I have tried my best to provide all the necessary information for you to make this dish at home.
I know it’s not easy for beginners, but these recipes will get easier with time. So make sure to give them a try and see for yourself how easy and delicious they can be.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.