This recipe is a step-by-step guide to the beignet recipe without yeast. They have a sweet, fried outer shell with a soft cake center. This recipe is designed for those who prefer not to use yeast in their baking recipes.
Beignets are a traditional French treat. They’re essentially a type of donut that has been made famous by the restaurant chain Café du Monde in New Orleans, LA.
If you have been living under a rock for the past decade, you may not be familiar with beignets. But don’t worry!
We have included a recipe below to make this delicious sweet treat at home.
Table of Contents
Are beignets a breakfast food?
So, before we show you the steps of making beignets without yeast, let’s know its course type. Beignets are a type of fried doughnut that is traditionally eaten for breakfast.
It is usually made with deep-fried no yeast dough or airy pastry dough and served hot, with sugar, cinnamon, and powdered sugar on top.
It can be found in traditional Orleans Creole cuisine and the formation of Americanized beignets. Beignets can also be filled with different types of fruits like apple, blueberry, peach, strawberry, or raspberry jam.
It can be eaten plain or topped with powdered sugar, cinnamon, or chocolate.
What happens if you don’t use yeast in the dough?
I know that you already acknowledged that we wouldn’t use yeast in this beignet recipe. Mean’s the recipe of beignets without yeast!
There are two types of dough, one with yeast and the other without.
Without yeast: Dough made without yeast can be sticky and challenging because it doesn’t contain gluten.
With yeast: Dough made with yeast is stretchy and elastic because it contains gluten, making the dough more flexible when handled.
But in this case, we will use baking powder.
However, let’s look at some benefits of not using yeast:
- You can reduce the amount of sugar in your dough, making it healthier for you and those who eat it.
- It is easier to work with dough that does not contain yeast because it is less sticky.
- Yeast gives off a lot of heat during fermentation, which can make your dough too hot to handle at times.
- It contains gluten, and this type of flour causes digestive problems for some people and makes them feel bloated or gassy after eating a meal made from the yeast-containing flour mixture (bread).
- Yeast may release unpleasant flavors or odors in the finished product, like ammonia or sulfur.
But remember, yeast is also a must-needed ingredient for some recipes. So we can’t overlook this item for most of the dishes.
Are beignets and fried dough the same?
Is this question bothering you? Then we have the answer to it, and we will share it with you too. The answer is- No, beignets are a type of fried dough that originated in France.
Beignets can be filled with anything from fruits to chocolate or cream. Fried dough is a deep-fried doughnut usually served for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
More specifically, Beignets and fried dough are two different types of food. Beignets are made from a mixture of flour, milk, and eggs, while the fried dough is made from flour and milk.
Beignet Recipe without Yeast
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Perform Time15 min
- Total Time30 min
- Serving Size5-6
- Energy61 cal
Ingredients of Beignet Recipe without Yeast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour,
- 2 eggs,
- 300 ml plain yogurt
- One teaspoon baking powder,
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar,
- Salt as needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract,
- 2 cups oil
- Four tablespoons of unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly.
Instructions for beignet recipe without yeast
Mix all the flour, sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Please turn on your stovetop to medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat for about 5 minutes or until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon without dripping off.
Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides.
Finally, once done baking, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the beignet and enjoy!
- Serving Size5-6
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*Standard DV
- Total Fat3 g78 g3.85%
- Saturated Fat1 g20 g5%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol16 mg300 mg5.33%
- Sodium21 mg2300 mg0.91%
- Total Carbohydrate8 g275 g2.91%
- Dietary Fiber1 g28 g3.57%
- Total Sugars2 g
- Added Sugars0 g50 g0%
- Sugar Alcohal0 g
- Protein1 g50 g2%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)0 IU800 IU0%
- Calcium15 mg1300 mg1.15%
- Iron1 mg18 mg5.56%
- Potassium39 mg4700 mg0.83%
- Vitamin A7.19 mcg900 mcg0.8%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)0 mg90 mg0%
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)0 IU33 IU0%
Pro Tips to make the beignet recipe without yeast tastier:
- Add a little bit of flour to the mixture while mixing to avoid lumps.
- you mustn’t overwork the dough as this will lead to tricky pastries.
- You can make the Beignet recipe using a doughnut pan or a donut pan. This step will help you achieve the shape of the beignet that you want.
Health benefits of Beignet recipe no yeast
Beignet recipe no yeast is a popular New Orleans dish made with bread dough, usually French bread dough.
This beignet recipe uses baking powder and all-purpose flour in place of yeast, which gives the beignets a light and airy texture. They are traditionally deep-fried in lard or vegetable oil, but they can also be baked instead.
Here are some health benefits of the Beignet recipe without yeast:
- It has fewer calories than most other recipes, which is 61 cal.
- It’s low in fat and saturated fat, making it an ideal choice for people trying to watch their weight or manage cholesterol levels.
- The carbohydrate content (about 24 grams per serving) is about half found in other recipes. That means you’ll feel fuller faster because your body will burn up more energy from digesting these carbs rather than storing them as fat on your body.
The reason why we love beignets is that they are fluffy and light. These are delicious treats that are best served warm or at room temperature.
Beignet recipe without yeast would be a difficult task to achieve. But if you have the patience, you can make it at home.
Beignet without yeast will give you a little bit of a challenge, but it is worth it in the end.
how to burn calories fast
You can also check your BMI from here